Current Watches and Warnings
Washington, Western Skagit County
Statement as of 3:28 PM PST on March 08, 2014
Expires 8:00 AM EDT on March 09, 2014
... Recent heavy rainfall has lead to an increased threat of
landslides in western Washington...
... The threat will increase tonight into midday Sunday as heavy
rain affects the area...
Several inches of rain over the past several days has increased
soil moisture to high levels across western Washington. Expect another
round of heavy rainfall tonight through Sunday morning... with
amounts ranging from 1 to 3 inches along the coast and up to
1 inch in The Lowlands. Heavy rainfall will add to the problem
of already saturated soils. Rainfall and saturated soils will put
extra pressure on soil instability... leading to an increased risk
Cumulative rainfall over the last week has soaked soils to the
point where the Washington landslide risk level is at elevated
levels. Several landslides have already been reported in various
locations across western Washington... including near Mukilteo and
Auburn. More landslides are possible over the next couple of days.
With an elevated landslide risk... rainfall induced landslides are
possible during bursts of intense rainfall or when there is heavy
rainfall over a period of a day or two as noted in the forecast
elevated risk level. A gradually diminishing risk of landslides
will continue for several days after the rain ends. Areas most
susceptible to landslides under these conditions are steep coastal
Bluffs and other steep hillsides.
For more information about current conditions... visit
www.Weather.Gov/Seattle... select hydrology... and then scroll down
for the links to the landslide information pages.
To report landslides to the state for tabulation... go to the
Washington state landslide risk web Page and the link for
Statement as of 5:22 PM PST on March 08, 2014
... Record daily maximum rainfall set at Seattle WA WFO...
A record rainfall of 0.63 inches was set at Seattle WA WFO today.
This breaks the old record of 0.55 set in 1990.
- Alaska - Winter Storm Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Wind Chill Advisory , Special Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- California - Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Hawaii - High Surf Warning
- Idaho - Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory, Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , Winter Storm Watch
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Fire Weather Watch
- Kentucky - Flood Warning
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Minnesota - Record Report
- Mississippi - Record Report
- Missouri - Record Report
- Montana - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Watch , Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Winter Storm Watch
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Advisory , Fire Weather Watch
- New Hampshire - Special Weather Statement
- New Mexico - Fire Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Record Report
- Ohio - Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Public Information Statement
- Pennsylvania - Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Hydrologic Statement
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Texas - Areal Flood Advisory
- Utah - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Record Report
- Wyoming - Areal Flood Advisory , High Wind Warning , Special Statement , Record Report